Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Best Games of 2016


As 2016 comes to a close, it’s important to look back and acknowledge the greatest artistic accomplishments of the year. While I spend a lot more time with movies than games, video games are still very important to me. I only played six games this year that I felt were worthy of receiving the “best of 2016” title, but, nevertheless, here they are:

(photo via abzugame.com)

6. Abzû

Made by several of the same developers that worked on Journey, one of the greatest games of all time, Abzû sees the player exploring the remnants of a mysterious civilization and admiring the beauty of the ocean. Abzû is very similar to Journey when it comes to its overall structure, but it’s still an absolutely gorgeous adventure full of vibrant and colorful scenery. Austin Wintory’s score is phenomenal and there were several times where I was in awe of the sheer beauty of it all. It might not quite reach the same towering heights that Journey did, but it’s still a remarkable experience.


(photo via titanfall.com)

5. Titanfall 2

Of all the games revealed at this summer’s E3, Titanfall 2 was the only one that made my jaw drop. I loved the original Titanfall and the trailer promised an even more kinetic and exhilarating game. I became sceptical after playing the multiplayer alpha, but the final product definitely lived up to my initial expectations. Titanfall 2 takes everything great about the first game, dials it up to 11, and then throws in an excellent single player campaign. It’s one of the best first person shooters in recent memory and just an absolute blast.


(photo via playoverwatch.com)

4. Overwatch

I put more hours into Overwatch than any other game this year. Every one of the game’s 23 heroes is intricately designed and polished to perfection. The diverse cast of characters is endearing and the game is consistently thrilling. Blizzard Entertainment has created a game with remarkable staying power that has kept me coming back. Seasonal events, additional maps, and new heroes will ensure that Overwatch will be around for a long, long time.


(photo via the-witness.net)

3. The Witness

I don’t typically play puzzle games. I always enjoy them when I do (Portal 2 is one of my all-time favorites), but it has never been a genre that I fell in love with. However, The Witness had me in a trance from the very beginning. Jonathan Blow’s follow up to Braid is an utterly terrific achievement in game design. The Witness never gives you any instruction beyond giving you the basic controls. Instead, you have to teach yourself the language required to solve the hundreds of puzzles. By the time I finished the game, I had filled a notebook with possible puzzle solutions and cut shapes out of paper to assist me with the more difficult challenges. The Witness’s mysterious island setting is also astoundingly beautiful and full of intrigue. While the eventual explanation of its existence doesn’t quite live up to its initial mystique, I had a wonderful time uncovering its secrets. The Witness is one of the most well-crafted games I’ve had the pleasure of playing and I can’t wait to revisit it sometime in the future.


(photo via blog.us.playstation.com)

2. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Playing Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection earlier this year was my first introduction to the widely-acclaimed series. Truth be told, I did not enjoy them nearly as much as I had hoped to. So, while I had my doubts when picking up Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, I was very happy to be blown away by this absolute marvel of a game. Never before has a video game merged gameplay and cinematics this well. One moment you’ll be watching an engrossing, mature cutscene and the next you’ll be in the middle of a firefight—the transition is seamless. But beyond its narrative prowess, Uncharted 4 is a ton of fun to play. The action set pieces are spectacular and shootouts are no longer tedious distractions from the game’s story like I felt they were in the previous games. It’s also one of the most gorgeous games that I have ever played. This is one for the ages and the new gold standard for every action/adventure game to come.

(photo via gamespot.com)

1. INSIDE

INSIDE, the follow up to developer Playdead’s indie masterpiece Limbo, is the most impressive work of art I had the pleasure of experiencing in any medium this year (that’s a big statement from a person who will gladly tell you that cinema is the greatest art form there is). I feel like any description of INSIDE is a disservice, so all I will say is that the game depicts a dystopian future that rivals the works of George Orwell where a young boy travels toward the right of the screen, solving puzzles along the way. It’s something that must be experienced firsthand. All you need to know is that INSIDE will evoke a wide variety of emotions from you: terror, disgust, confusion, awe, and a constant sense of dread. This is a game that is absolutely drenched in atmosphere from the very first moment and will leave you speechless with its conclusion. INSIDE tells a story entirely through the environment and the events that take place; not a single word is spoken. For the first time ever, I feel confident in saying that the story told here could not be done in any other medium. It’s an experience that demands the various narrative tools that only video games can provide. INSIDE is one of the greatest achievements in gaming. It’s an indisputable work of art.


View the launch trailer for INSIDE, which effectively conveys the game's tone:


No comments:

Post a Comment